Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Water: Gotta Have It

"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." John 4:14

A strange thing happened yesterday in Decatur, Alabama. The entire city's water flow was reduced to very little, or none at all. Businesses closed and the city officials told citizens to save water for emergency purposes only. All of this happened because of operational problems at the water treatment plant.

I don't know about you, but I have never experienced a lack of water in my life. I turn on the faucet and the water is there. I know enough about worldwide living conditions to know that most people around the world do not have the reliable, clean water source that I am accustomed to.

Well, all this attention on water made me think about the Biblical significance of water. Water references are found throughout the entire Bible. God created water. We need physical water to sustain our bodies in order to survive. However, our spirits need spiritual water that can only be attained through Jesus Christ.

The spiritual water that Christ fills us with will never run out. Our spirit will not thirst for anything when it has Jesus fulfilling its every need. The absence of physical water or spiritual water equals death either way. If you have an abundant water supply in Jesus Christ, make sure you are sharing it with others so they will not thirst as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment