Friday, September 3, 2010

I Thought We Weren't Supposed to Say "Stupid"!

When I was growing up the word "stupid" was an ugly word in our house. Now don't get me wrong, "stupid" is an ugly word and I still don't think we should say it. I would probably faint if I heard my three-year-old Luke say it. When I was teaching school, saying "stupid" in my classroom would put you on the fast track to trouble.

Well, wouldn't you know that one of my most favorite verses has the word "stupid" in it! Here it is:

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone" 2 Timothy 2:23-24

This is part of what Paul was writing to Timothy. Paul's words were very effective in conveying meaning. I have to admit that using stupid in this sentence is very effective. Most arguments are stupid, but some are not. When I think of some of the things that Bart and I have argued about it is absolutely ridiculous. (Or should I say stupid!)

But we do not only argue with our spouses. We can argue with anyone anywhere, even people we don't know. These foolish and stupid arguments that lead to quarrels will shut the door for the Lord to work quicker than you can say the word "stupid." I know it is hard not to argue your point and stand up for what you believe in, but let's make sure it is not something ridiculous that we are using that energy to quarrel about.

Friday! Yippee! Have a great Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment