Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Repentance

"I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes." Psalm 119:59

I have taught phonics to elementary school kids who are learning how to read. When you are learning how to read and how to pronounce the different sounds each letter makes you will ultimately talk about prefixes. Some of you may be thinking that you have been out of school too long to remember what a prefix is, so I will give you an example. "Re" is a prefix that is found at the beginning of a root word. The prefix "re" refers to an action that is done again.

Look at the word repentance. It has that little "re" prefix on it!!!! Don't you just love how God understands us so well that he knew we would have to ask for forgiveness again and again. Repentance is unique because you don't want to be repenting about the same sin over and over. That is not a good sign because that means that you have not truly repented and turned away from the sin.

Repentance is a two part process. 1. Ask God to forgive you for your sin. ---- 2. Turn away from the sinful behavior and do it no more.

People don't mind the first part so much. It is the second part that gives us a lot of trouble. That's when we say, "Thank you Lord for your mercy and grace to give me the opportunity to have a "re"pentant heart so I can come back to you again when I don't get it right the first time."

No comments:

Post a Comment