Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What if...

"Do everything without complaining" Philippians 2:14

Let's play a game.

What if you gave me a gift. Let's say that you gave me a new computer just because you loved me. When you gave me the computer I was so excited. I thanked you over and over and over! I told you that I would think about you every time I looked at it and that I would use it to do some work you were needing done. At first I was busy getting that work done for you and telling you what a great computer it was and how it had changed my life. --But after a while I started doing less and less work for you. Then I stopped talking to you about the computer altogether. Some more time passed and I started calling you up and complaining about the computer. "The computer has a virus, it runs slow, it is outdated, if you were going to give me a computer I wish it would have had more memory." (I am sure that you are not happy with the way I am treating you about the gift you gave me for free!)

Now think about this: Don't you think this is how God feels when we complain about the gifts He has given us? Talk to me now... You were getting upset with me about that computer a minute ago, weren't you? I seemed like an ungreatful complainer, didn't I? How many times has God given us a gift that we were thrilled about, but once the newness wore off we started complaining about it to God?

Let me tell you, I did this tonight and it is why I am telling you about it. The Lord blessed Bart and I with three wonderful children. Luke is almost three and Julia and Olivia are 18 months old. Once you see their ages I don't think that I have to explain how tired I am at the end of every day! Tonight I was so exhausted and felt like I had been the warden all day long! I started complaining to my husband and he instantly rebuked me. I wasn't happy with Bart at first but he did what was right by redirecting my thoughts away from the enemy and back to God. I think we need to get a better perspective on how God feels about our actions versus how we are feeling. Seems like it would put a stop to a lot of complaining.

Hope your Labor Day was great and you got some extra rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment