Thursday, September 2, 2010

You Are More Than a Number

Identity theft has become a problem for people all over the world today. People in the U.S. guard their social security numbers with due diligence, and for very good reason. That nine-digit number can reveal details about your life, decisions and habits.

However, when God looks at us He does not see a bunch of nine-digit numbers walking around. God determines our identities when He creates us and then we determine how to use that identity once we are born in this world. I think that God is most concerned with how we choose to use the identity we are given. We can protect ourselves by creating an identity within Christ. Or we can throw that identity to the wind and let the world mold us however it sees fit.

Check out these verses from Psalm 139. If you have never read Psalm 139 in its entirety I encourage you to read it. This was the passage that a special person gave me to read right before our twin daughters were born three months prematurely. It really gives us a perspective on how we are God's creation and our identity (no matter how we choose to use it) is no secret to Him.

"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar...your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139: 1,2 & 16

No comments:

Post a Comment