Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Record

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs" 1 Corinthians 13:4-5

This verse makes us feel all warm and fuzzy until we get to the part that says, "it keeps no record of wrongs"... What?!? Last time I checked I had a mental notebook busting at the seams where I stored all of those wrongs! I have kept that notebook locked away in the recesses of my mind and it has come in handy when I needed to throw my fit and point out all the wrongs that had been done to me.

Why is it that we can become angry at someone and all of the sudden everything that person has ever done wrong comes to our attention? (Let me tell you, that sudden recollection we have is not from God, so that leaves one other possibility...)

We often feel that we need a record of wrongs to serve as our arsenal when times of trouble arise so we can defend ourselves in an argument. This may seem like a logical strategy when forming a defense, but I am glad that God does not use this human logic. Aren't you? Can you imagine what God's notebook would look like that contained our record of wrongs?

Let's burn up those old notebooks filled with wrongs and love people the way that God loves us!

No comments:

Post a Comment