Monday, August 30, 2010

Hold Me Like a Baby

"Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation" 1 Peter 2:2

My almost three-year-old son Luke often comes to me and says, "Hold me like a baby." Of course I scoop him up like a little baby and snuggle him close and tell him what a cute baby he is and how much I love him. This is when Luke loves to act like a little baby and ask for a bottle and a pacifier; which of course I do not give him, but he just likes to play like a little baby sometimes. When Luke first started doing this I realized that he was wanting to be doted over the way we did with his little baby twin sisters. Julia and Olivia are still babies that have infant needs that Luke often wants to be extended to him. Any of you with children can relate to this I'm sure.

When little kids do this it is cute. When adults do this in their Christian walk it is not so cute. There are so many Christians who received salvation and just stopped growing right then. This verse in 1 Peter talks about being a new Christian and being babied with spiritual milk for a while but then you have to grow up and start acting like a mature Christian. Think about it this way; if we all received salvation and didn't continue to grow up in our faith not many other people would be hearing the word of God. Babies don't teach other people, they don't share their wisdom with others. It is no different for new Christians. They aren't going to be helping anyone else if they don't grow up themselves.

Have a terrific Tuesday!

1 comment: