Friday, August 20, 2010

What Would You Ask For?

"At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you."...Solomon answered...,"So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong." 1 Kings 3:5,6&9

King Solomon asked for God to give him wisdom when he could have asked for anything. I suggest that it took some level of wisdom for Solomon to even think to request wisdom. I have heard this told many times before and I always find myself thinking, "What would I have asked for?"
God granted Solomon his request, but he did not stop there. God likes to reward us for our good choices and our obedience to him so check out what God did:

"The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. So God said to him, 'Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for - both riches and honor - so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life." 1 Kings 3:10-14

Whoa, God really laid on the gifts there. King Solomon became a very wise man from that point. People sought his wisdom because everyone was talking about it. But the most important part to remember is that Solomon was not wise through his own efforts. He had the wisdom of God working through him. Sometimes when God blesses us with a gift we give him the credit at first but then we begin to give ourselves the credit for our success or good works. This false sense of accomplishment is dangerous. Whatever abilities or gifts we have are bestowed from God whom all praise, glory and honor is due!

No comments:

Post a Comment