Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Modesty

This one is for fun! (You will see what I mean...)

"I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety...but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." 1 Timothy 2:9-10

I thought this verse was hilariously appropriate for the little story I have to tell you.

Sunday mornings at our house are very crazy. I have to get myself ready, feed our children, dress our children, give the girls breathing treatments, wake up Bart, pack snacks and diaper bags, wake up Bart again, and finally throw on my dress before I run out the door. I have to wait and put my dress on last thing because there is no telling what would end up on it if I went through that whole process while wearing my dress. Well, this past Sunday I went through this process and Bart and I walked in church with the kids; everyone was smiling and happy. We greeted many people on our way in. Bart was behind me with the girls and we were walking down our second hallway in the church when Bart uses his loudest whisper possible to tell me that my dress is unzipped! So there in the church hallway Bart finishes dressing me for the morning! Thank God I got it zipped up part of the way myself and didn't show too much! Somehow in my whirlwind of getting ready and loading everyone in the car I forgot to get Bart to zip me up the rest of the way! I can't remember which was more embarrassing, Bart's whisper-yell or the fact that my dress was unzipped!
This verse from 1 Timothy seemed appropriate because Paul is telling Timothy what is expected of women in the body of Christ. I know that we have all experienced a time in our youth when our Mothers have told us there was no way we were wearing that to church. I remember my mama not wanting me to wear blue jean shorts to a Vacation Bible School meeting!!! (Don't act like you don't remember either Mama!) LOL!
I think that we have to prepare and dress our hearts for worship as well as our outward appearance. You can look totally modest and appropriate on the outside, but if your heart is looking trashy you better use the Bible as the book of etiquette to clean it up!

Wow it's Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Yes... I remember... and I hope that you'll still not wear shorts to a Vacation Bible School meeting. (only if their the longer style shorts) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my girl! I love u!!! :)

    ReplyDelete