Friday, July 30, 2010

Don't Hurry

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

I really like this verse, but I have a hard time doing it. My mind and body seem to race all day long. Getting still seems like prohibiting progress. I have so much to do and a narrow time frame to do all of it within. However, no matter how many excuses I can think of, I still need to be still and listen for God's voice. I can't even imagine how many times I have drowned out that still small voice because I was too busy to slow down and listen to God during prayer.
I heard this week that "Hurry is the death of prayer." Isn't that the truth. When we pray before our meals sometimes we pray so fast that I will start eating and wonder, "Did we pray?" My hunger tends to diminish the prayer. This is just one example of how praying while you are in a hurry is not going to be effective. I have been hearing so much lately about having quiet time alone with God and giving Him my full and undivided attention. My thoughts on this are that I am going to find time to do whatever I want to do. I want to eat, sleep and read and I somehow manage time to do those things for myself. Spending time with God should top that list any day!

Finally Friday. Have Fun!

2 comments:

  1. Very true, it is important in making time for God each day.

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks Daddy. Good to hear some man perspective. I asked Bart if he had been reading my blog and he told me he thought it was for women only. I told him "No Way!" and that he better start reading it!!!!
    Now I will have to quiz him every once in a while to make sure he isn't slacking!

    ReplyDelete