Thursday, July 29, 2010

How To Use Your Apron!

"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." Luke 5:16

Bart and I were at church tonight and our preacher was speaking on How To Hear From God. One major point of focus tonight was on how we need to get by ourselves and allow God to speak with us without any distractions. Well, I must admit that when I hear "no distractions", I automatically think about the fact that I have three kids under the age of 2. Alone time is not something that I get very much of. However, no sooner did I have that thought that our preacher mentioned Susanna Wesley.
Susanna Wesley was the mother of John Wesley (who ultimately founded the Methodist Church). Susanna was a mother during the late 1600s and early 1700s. She raised 18 children! Two of her kids, John and Charles, are still known for their Christian theological and musical efforts today. Well, Susanna knew that she needed to spend time alone with God every day just like Jesus did. Her faith was strong and she became creative in order to get her time alone with God. Every afternoon she would sit down in a chair in her home and throw her apron over her head. This signaled to all of her children that she was having some time alone with God and they best not disturb her as long as she was sitting under her apron!
I have to applaud Susanna on her creativity and efforts. Now, I don't wear an apron but I am thinking that maybe I should.

Get alone with God and listen to Him. It is something I am going to have to work on too!

No comments:

Post a Comment