Saturday, July 31, 2010

Most Memorized Verse...

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life" John 3:16

Did you memorize this verse when you were a child? I did. It was the one verse that I would recite in many Sunday School and Vacation Bible School classes.
When I was young I didn't really take the time to listen to each word and understand exactly what it meant. Now that I am older I can look at this verse and see why it was the most important verse for me to learn as a child.

"For God so loved the world that he gave...": God loves us because we are his creation, his children. He loved us so much that he gave us his Son Jesus who he knew would be a sacrifice for our sins. God gave his Son freely so that we can have relationship with him.

"that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.": This part is God's promise of salvation to believers that we will have eternal life with Him in heaven. There is no other promise so great, and all we have to do is believe.

I am glad that I can look at this verse now and understand the love and power of God that is in it. This verse provides peace and affirmation to believers and Jesus himself spoke these words.

Have a super Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment