Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Teach Your Kids the Important Things

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 6:5-7




God has given us a great responsibility of teaching our children about God's love and his plan for each of our lives. This can be intimidating. I know that it has been for me at times with young children and wanting to make sure that I am teaching them of God's word and love in a way that they can understand.


This verse jumped out at me because I think that parents often want to leave all the teaching responsibilities with their child's Sunday School teacher! However, God has instructed us to get involved on the teaching ourselves and he explains that we are supposed to be teaching our children about God's love during our every waking moment. Now, I will be the first to admit that my every waking moment does not exude God's love! (Thank the Lord we have Jesus to forgive us for those moments!) I also know that this doesn't mean that we constantly hammer our kids with doctrine either. God is telling us that in addition to the words that we use teach our children with, we also need to use our actions to teach them of his love.


My thoughts on this is that when we start concentrating on how we are teaching our children we will also begin to silently teach those around us as well.




Have a wonderful Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. Your doing a great job of teaching your children about the love of Jesus. On Monday Luke told me he had Jesus in his heart!
    Juji :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mama! I am so glad he told you that. He loves to tell us that Jesus is in his heart before he goes to bed at night!

    ReplyDelete