Sunday, October 24, 2010

Heaven's Grocery Store

"Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:35

We eat food and drink to sustain our human bodies because we cannot live without food and water. Well, our spiritual bodies are similar because they are dead without Jesus. Jesus is the food and drink that keeps our spiritual bodies alive and healthy and gives them eternal life.

No matter how much food and drink we consume on earth, our human body will die at some point. However, consuming the spiritual bread that is Jesus will prevent our spiritual death from ever occurring.

I saw this little poem yesterday and I just had to share it with you because it got me thinking about how thankful I am that Jesus is our bread of life! (I did not write this poem, and I do not know who did, so we'll call it anonymous.)

Heaven's Grocery Store

I was walking down life's highway a long time ago,
One day I saw a sign that read "Heaven's Grocery Store."
As I got a little closer, the door came open wide.
And when I came to myself, I was standing there inside.

I saw a host of angels, they were standing everywhere,
One handed me a basket and said, "My child, shop with care."
Everything a Christian needed was in that grocery store,
And all you couldn't carry, you could come back for more.

First, I got some patience, love was in the same row,
Further down was understanding, you need that wherever you go.
I got a box or two of wisdom and a bag or two of faith,
I just couldn't miss the Holy Ghost, for it was all over the place.

I stopped to get some strength and courage, to help me run the race.
By then my basket was getting full, but I remembered I needed some grace.
I didn't forget salvation, for salvation, that was free,
So I tried to get enough of that to save both you and me.
Then I started up to the counter to pay my grocery bill,
For I thought I had everything to do my Master's will.

As I went up the aisle, I saw prayer and just had to put that in,
For I knew when I stepped outside, I would run right into sin.
Peace and joy were all plentiful, they were on the last shelf,
Song and praises were hanging near, so I just helped myself.

Then I said to the angel, "Now how much do I owe?"
He just smiled and said, "Just take them everywhere you go."
Again, I smiled at him and said, "How much do I owe?"
He smiled again and said, "My child, Jesus paid your bill a long time ago."

No comments:

Post a Comment