Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rest for the Weary

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

I love this verse. Jesus spoke these words. I need these words. Don't you?

The past few days of our family's life have been extremely eventful. We have been out of town visiting family in Ohio since Wednesday. On our way to Ohio Wednesday one of our twins started feeling sick in the car. Needless to say, Olivia's condition worsened and we ended up at Children's Hospital in Ohio on Thursday. Bart also became very sick during this time. Luke and Julia, our other two children, ran circles around me while I tried to play nurse to Bart and Olivia. I am thankful for all of the family we had around us to help!!!

It is during times like these that I become weary. Don't you? When we are stressed and tired our bodies and minds are overloaded by our circumstances. This overwhelming tension and stress opens the door for wearisome feelings. Taking care of other people is hard work physically, mentally and emotionally. Once all of this mounts up against us, we have to make a decision. Either we are going to allow our circumstances to defeat us because we cannot muster the natural strength to handle them. Or, we are going to let the Lord take the lead and give us the supernatural strength (which is impossible for us to understand) to make it through.

We have to remember this promise that Jesus made to us. It will make all the difference in our lives. We have such a wonderful gift available for us to take advantage of. And my suggestion is to not wait for the brink of the breakdown. We've got to go to God sooner instead of trying to carry the load ourselves for a while.

--Side Note-- Olivia is doing better. She is not well, but she has improved. This virus has been extremely tough on her little body and respiratory system. Please pray for Olivia and for Bart to heal. Bart drove nine hours straight yesterday to get us home. (And don't look at me like that, I did offer to drive!!! Bart said that he would rather drive sick than have to deal with sick and unruly children for nine hours!)

No comments:

Post a Comment