Friday, October 1, 2010

Wanna Be a Kid Again?

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." 1 Corinthians 13:11

Last night Bart and I tucked our three-year-old son in bed. We said bedtime prayers, gave hugs and kisses, but I did something I don't usually do... I stayed in his room for awhile and sat next to his bed while he was falling asleep.

As I was sitting there I kept thinking about how our little boy doesn't have a responsibility or a worry in the world. I am thankful that he is blessed not to have those burdens at such a young age. However, on days when I am so busy with responsibilities, schedules and worries I find myself wishing that I could experience that carefree living that kids do.

Growing older isn't easy, but it is worth it. As our chronological age increases we become more educated and experienced. Older age offers us more opportunities in life. Christians grow older in age just like everyone else, but they should also grow up in their faith as well. Growing up in our faith is so much better than staying a baby in our faith. The Lord will use us mightily when we grow up in Him.

Even though we have moments when we wish to be young and carefree again, the responsibilities we have are really blessings from God. God never said His work would be easy. He will give us the grace and strength to do it, but it is going to be a lot of work. This verse that Paul wrote shows the progression of growing up and being better off as a mature Christian adult.


Side note: Bart and I met a wonderful missionary couple tonight named Jonathan and Erin Matthews. The Matthews are from the U.S. but are serving in Brazil. I am putting a link to their website so you can check out their missions work. They have three children with their fourth on the way! I felt a special connection to Erin tonight because her youngest is a little girl that is very close in age to our twin girls. This is a very special family with a beautiful story: http://www.brazilforchrist.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment